3 Tips for Avoiding Common Mistakes with FSM Digital Transformations
Digital transformations are a hot topic right now. We’ve covered the vital role technology is playing for organizational sustainability already this year, but when organizations are stepping up to make that investment in their future, what should they be avoiding?
What to remember if your organization is planning on investing in a Field Service Management (FSM) solution:
1. Slow Down and plan carefully, but don’t get caught up in analysis.
A lot of organizations have been put in a situation where they’re now forced to make a digital transformation or risk losing their business. However, the priority here shouldn’t be to throw money at the problem hoping it will fix it.
- List your organization’s needs, prioritize them wherever possible.
- Get leadership on board and prepare for change.
- Bring in help and do your research.
- Keep that list of needs handy, don’t let someone oversell or distract you.
- Make sure you’re getting information and not just a product.
- Needing to make a change quickly doesn’t mean you’re forced into a corner.
- A good Field Service Management (FSM) consulting organization will give you advice without pressuring you to make a choice immediately.
- Although you should take time to make the right choices, don’t get caught up in the analysis phase, or you could end up wasting time.
- When in doubt, get advice.
- Expert help and advice are absolutely necessary for a transformation to achieve success.
2. New technology won’t solve all of your problems, focus on using it as a tool to improve.
Yes, digital transformations have become a necessary part of doing business. Nevertheless, although they address many issues—such as providing a more contactless work environment or providing more control and automation—they won’t magically fix every problem an organization is having.
- The better metrics and reports, ability to do more with less, ability to do things more easily and safely, etc.—will only go as far as the people using them.
- An implementation and integration partner that recognizes and addresses this is the only way to really see results.
- Preparing your organization for change in the right way is critical for success.
- This is not just a new piece of technology, it will impact your entire business, and your entire business needs to be on board.
- Training and change management will be key components of seeing real transformational success.
3. Look towards the future, both short and long-term.
Revisit that priority list. Immediate needs for short-term sustainability are a necessity, but don’t be short sighted with your investment or change in general.
- Look at when your organization will reach it’s ROI and plan your next steps.
- Use the momentum from this change, as well as the technology itself to build resiliency within your organization.
- Automate, build skills, and use metrics for continuous improvement.
- Pay attention to where FSM is going and how your investment can help you get there.
- Your investment should be telling you more about what your customers want and need, so use it to innovate and deliver.
- Although an FSM solution should be tailored to your organization, it also needs to be tailored to your customers; the long-term picture for your organization should include what your digital transformation can do for them.
Regardless of where you are in the digital transformation process, be it the planning phase or even post implementation—if you feel like your organization isn’t on the right track, doing something about it is absolutely the best way to avoid or recover from any mistakes.
Every organization is different. Every business has its own culture, its own needs, its own way of doing things. Therefore, every business can have its own pitfalls and mistakes. Following the tips we’ve listed above can help you avoid them, but reaching out for expert advice is always a good idea.
If your organization needs any obligation free help or advice on moving forward, please contact us.
- January 2023
- November 2022
- October 2022
- September 2022
- August 2022
- July 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- February 2022
- September 2021
- August 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- January 2020
- November 2019
- October 2019
- April 2019
- June 2018
- July 2017